This is the third installment of the History of Sunset Boulevard.
The Washington Heights section of Echo Park was laid out in 1887, between Reservoir Street on the north, Waterloo St. on the West, Marathon on the South and Alvarado on the east.
The year before, Angeleno Heights, the first HPOZ in the city, was laid out, Elysian Park was dedicated from the Rock Quarry Hills, and construction began on the Ostrich Farm Railway, eventually Sunset Boulevard.
The earliest residence is believed to date to 1887, though the majority of the residences date from 1890 to 1915.
Sunset Boulevard runs through the middle of the Washington Heights tract and the commercial district along Sunset dates to 1910’s and 20’s, though the oldest commercial building dates to 1907, when an existing structure was added upon to build the K9 Loft.
This stretch of Sunset Boulevard allows one to see the semi-rural Los Angeles of the 19th century alongside the beginnings of modern, 20th century Los Angeles.
Please register at www.myhistoricla.org to vote for the Washington Heights tract to let the City of Los Angeles know about Washington Heights and the history of Echo Park.
Follow the Echo Park Historical Society on Facebook or on Twitter: @EchoParkHistory